Monday, November 7, 2011

In Over My Head

Am I?  Sometimes I think so.  I think Collin thinks I am.  I know he thinks I only chose nursing because Mom pushed me into it, and maybe he's partially right.  Am I super passionate about it?  Not really.  But at the same time, there isn't much that I can really see myself doing.  Without being too down on myself, I need to be realistic.  I'm 28 years old.  I am a single mother.  I need to find something that supports Maddie and me.  I can't waste time wanting to be a journalist, or hoping to win the lottery.  So what I hope for instead is to be able to provide a stable life for us.  I want a house with a backyard.  I want to be able to buy things just because, without needing to worry that I can't afford food later.  I don't want Maddie to ever feel like she has had to go without.  Choosing to become a nurse gives me that opportunity to get a stable job, making good money.

I know that things are hard right now.  I know that they will continue to be hard as time goes on.  But I'm smart.  I'm tough.  I can do this.  I just have to believe in myself.  Everyone hits a snag now and then.  I have to do this.  I refuse to let school, A&P especially defeat me.  I just need to dig down, and find that inner strength.  I need to look at Maddie, and remember why I'm doing it.  Because it's not about me anymore.  Every time I see her face light up with a big smile, just because she sees me, makes my life so happy.  I refuse to let myself fail that joyous smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment